Canning foods is a practice which has been around for a long time. It is used for preserving foods making them available for a long time, possibly all year round and doing this is also very economical. When it comes to canning meats, seafood, vegetables and poultry, which have a low acid content, pressure canning is deemed to be the safest method to use. These foods require a temperature of 240F to ensure that if there are any bacterial spores they will be destroyed and not cause spoilage. The Presto pressure canner 23 quart cooker is ideal for at home use however is built sturdy enough to be professional grade. Learn more about some of its design features and usage guidelines in the following review.
What is the Presto Pressure Canner 23 Quart Cooker Used For?
When it comes to preserving foods with a low acid content, the Presto pressure canner 23 quart cooker is your go to tool. This includes different kinds of meat, vegetables, sea food and poultry. The US Department of Agriculture endorses this method as the only safe way to can these foods.
The versatility of the Presto pressure canner 23 quart cooker allows it to also be used as a boiling water canner for high acid containing foods like jams and jellies, as well as fruit and pickles. It can further be utilized in the home as a regular pressure cooker to prepare large proportions of food.
Design Features of the Presto Pressure Canner 23 Quart Cooker
- The Presto pressure canner 23 quart cooker is designed to hold 23 quarts of water and comes in a silver colour. Made of heavy-gauge aluminium, this material allows it to heat through evenly. The lid of the presto pressure canner is fitted with a dial type pressure gauge which helps you to monitor the pressure during its operation.
- The large pot size allows for larger canning jobs, where you can stacks two levels of pint sized jars. Alternatively the large pot size allows you to cook larger quantities of food if you are catering to a large group of people or for storage.
- The lid of the presto pressure canner has a small rubber safety plug which will be released upward if the pressure inside the canner becomes too great.
- The pressure canner comes with a perforated rack inside which serves to keep the bottles off the base of the pot and also allows the water to flow up and through to the bottles.
- A manual is included with the canner when purchased and it contains usage instructions, parts information and some recipes.
Pros and Cons of the Presto Pressure Canner 23 Quart Cooker
- The Presto pressure canner 23 quart is much lighter in weight than other pressure canners that hold even less than it does, up to a difference of 8lbs in some cases.
- Despite the lighter weight in comparison to other large canners, the Presto pressure canner 23 quart will not become warped upon continuous use. It is built to last.
- It has been rated as one of the best pressure cookers for canning based on its performance and design.
- It is suitable for use on either smooth or glass top and traditional stove tops.
- The price of the Presto pressure cooker 23 quart canner is quite reasonable especially when you consider that you are getting more than just a canner but also a large cooker.
- The material the Presto pressure canner 23 quart cooker is made of is not as thick as older models of the Presto pressure canner. This really is a preference issue for some people.
- The fact that the handles are down turned as opposed to up turned or at the top means that you when the canner is hot you are more likely to get burned.
- There have been few complaints about the pressure gauge not working after a few years however, this is not necessarily a totally fair complaint considering that the dial gauge really should be checked on a yearly basis to ensure its accuracy.
Conclusions About the Presto Pressure Canner 23 Quart
This is a safe and comparably lightweight as well as economically priced pressure canner. The slight differences in design it may have when compared to more expensive pressure canners does not detract from the way it gets the job done. The replacement parts, if necessary are easy to source and you can be sure that you will be getting one of the best pressure cookers for canning when you purchase a Presto 23 quart.